Templeton (full name John Templeton) is a thorn in main character Emily Swift's side, appearing first in book one (Door to Door) of the series. The first reference to him is found by Emily in “The Book,” the travel journal left to her by her late father.
(Templeton also appears in the Bellerose Witchline Series (coming in 2022) in a significant role.)
Templeton entered the Salesman trade at age nineteen (versus thirty like other Salesmen). His talent for door traveling fast-tracked him into the ranks. Daniel Swift (Emily’s father) took Templeton under his wing, recognizing the vulnerability of such a gifted young person entering the chaos of the Empire. Templeton soon proved he belonged to no one.
Templeton is thirty-eight to thirty-nine years of age in the series. He’s described as tall (approximately 6’0″) and fit.
In book one, Emily describes:
But was he handsome? There was something about him that was clearly unappealing. He was good-looking, I suppose. About Jack’s age maybe? A few years older? Dark hair. I didn’t pay attention to his body, but he was tall. Probably fit. His eyes were almost a translucent blue… Faded. They were cold.
And later, in book two (Through the Door):
I studied his face, the sharp angles, the thin nose. He had reduced the length of his sideburns – an improvement. Dark hair was still cut short.
Even in the heat, Templeton stays well-dressed:
Templeton turned to face me. He was dressed in a pair of grey summer trousers and a black button-down shirt. The sleeves were rolled up to just below his elbows. The top button of the shirt was undone. He held his top hat by the brim in his left hand. A sly smile played about his lips. He raised an eyebrow. “Do you need to be punished, Emily? What have you done now?”
In book two, Emily’s friend Tara describes him:
“Anyhow, he’s pretty good-looking, don’t you think? You know, in an aristocratic throwback sort of way.”
In book three, Doors Wide Open, Emily observes:
Leaning back in my chair, I considered the man who’d puzzled me for nearly a year. I studied him: the short, dark hair; the palest blue eyes I’d ever seen; the sharp angles of his face; the long line of his nose.
Unusual Abilities and Behavior
Templeton can handle magical objects and use them – this is unusual for a Salesman to have this ability.
Templeton has a distinct habit of searching for lint on his clothing (primarily coat or shirt sleeves) and picking at it – whether real or imagined.
From the Author’s Character Profile (edited to avoid spoilers)
Abbreviated Character Profile
- Character Name: John Templeton
- Gender/Self ID: Male
- Born: 1984
- Character Theme Song for D2D Series:
- Door to Door: Sympathy for the Devil, by The Rolling Stones
- Through the Door: Sweet Dreams Are Made of This, by Marilyn Manson
- Doors Wide Open: I Am The Highway, by Audioslave
- Being Type: Salesman, Human
- Parents: Spoiler
- Siblings: None
- Living Relatives: Spoiler
- Childhood: Affluent, parents not around. Raised by household employees.
- Hair Color: Very dark, almost black.
- Hair Length, Style: Short hair, thick, slight wave at nape of neck.
- Eyes: Pale blue, all color fades from irises when angry or working magic.
- Height 6’0″
- Weight 180 lbs.
- Body Type: Lean muscle.
- Tattoo: Spoiler.
- Scar: Yes, hidden.
- Education (Traditional): Private school, prep school.
- Degree: Ph.D. in History; Ph.D. in Theology, concentration: Witchcraft
- Education (Non-Traditional): Studied with Nisha – he learned some darker magic from her.
- Occupation: Independently wealthy; investor.
- Hobby: Reading – studying history.
- Relationship Status: Single
- Love Interest: Spoiler
- Significant Friends: Rabbit (if he was forced to name a friend).
- Childhood Home: Countryside estate.
- Home (Where): The family estate and penthouse in Matar.
- Vehicle: None
- Favorite Food: Prime Rib
- Least Favorite Food: Fast food
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee
- Loves the Smell Of: Vanilla. Also prefers earthy / woodsy smells.
- Favorite Alcohol: Top shelf Scotch
- Country or City? Both, depends.
- Favorite Animal: Foxhound
- Favorite Book: Anything written by Mark Twain
- Favorite Movie, Adult: It’s a secret.
- Favorite TV Show: Does not watch TV.
- Celebrity Crush: He has a strange attraction to Anne Hathaway’s character in Alice in Wonderland (2010 movie).
- Favorite Season: Autumn
- Favorite Color: Blue
- Favorite Holiday: Doesn’t have one.
- Favorite Painter: Picasso, in particular, the Blue Period.
- Favorite Musical Genre: Jazz
- Favorite Song: Doesn’t have one.
- Plays Instrument? Piano
- Favorite Vacation Spot: New York City
- Mountains or Beach: Mountains
- Likes to Dance: Can dance – trained in formal dancing.
- Like to Cook: Yes
- Eat in or Eat out? Both, depends.
- Early Bird or Night Owl? Night owl – who gets up early…
- Personality: Strong personality, arrogant, impatient, dismissive.
- Temperament: Controlled, disciplined – but can have a ferocious temper (mostly righteous). Holds a grudge.
- Talent: Door Travel
- Answer To: No one… Sort of to the Salesman Court (but not really) – he feigns deference.
- Member Of: Congress of Empire Witches, several Empire affiliations.
- Magical Power(s) / Special Powers? Door travel, Magical Abilities – it’s unknown to what extent, but it appears to be vast.
- Secret(s): His father’s story, his magical inheritance.
- Fetishes: Novelty (curious nature) and spoiler.
- Guilty Pleasure: Loves having his hair cut. (Special private salon, loves having his hair washed – “played with.”)
- Vices: Spoiler.
- Fears: Losing his power. Spoiler.
- Regrets : Not being able to save spoiler.
- Bad Habit: Impatient with others. Nosy.
- Quirk: Lint hunting.
- OCD Scale (1 – 10): 9
- Political Affiliation: Independent.
- Religion: Atheist.
- Pet Peeves: Stupidity.
- Principles: Loyalty. Truth. Mastery.
- Enemy: Emily Swift is not always his enemy, but she is often a thorn in his side. Sebastian St. Michel is definitely an enemy.
- Problems: Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler! Sebastian.
Templeton is a Salesman and is often portrayed with his top hat.
Return to the main Door to Door Paranormal Mystery Series Wiki Page.
Return to the main Bellerose Witchline Series Wiki Page.